UNWTO has revealed the 12 finalists of the 13th edition of the UNWTO Awards for Excellence and Innovation in Tourism.
The finalists were selected from a total of 139 applicants from 55 countries. Winners will be announced on January 18, 2017 at the UNWTO Awards Ceremony, which has been organised in partnership with Madrid International Tourism Fair (FITUR / IFEMA) for the fourth consecutive year.
The world-respected awards commend tourism excellence and innovation spanning four categories: Public Policy and Governance; Enterprises; Non-Governmental Organisations; and Research and Technology.
Secretary-General, UNWTO, Taleb Rifai remarked: “The UNWTO Awards reflect the efforts [made] worldwide by the tourism community to foster innovation and the need of the sector to advance towards a more sustainable and responsible future. In the last decade the awards have shown the sector’s high commitment to this goal, which this year has a special meaning as we celebrate the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development 2017.
UNWTO Award for Innovation in Public Policy and Governance
– Innovative use of e-tourism/Egypt’s strategy 2020, Advisory Council of the Ministry of Tourism, Egypt
– Invat.Tur, Valencia Region Tourism Board, Spain
– Social progress index in tourism destinations in Costa Rica, Costa Rica Tourism Board, Costa Rica
– Strategies for development of sustainable tourism in Guanajuato, Guanajuato State Ministry of Tourism, Mexico
UNWTO Award for Innovation in Enterprises
– Adding colour to lives, Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group, Belgium
– Ecobnb: The community of sustainable tourism, Ecobnb, Italy
UNWTO Award for Innovation in Non-Governmental Organizations
– Culture heritage: tools for sustainability of a World Heritage Site, Petra National Trust, Jordan
– Inclusion of micro and small enterprises in the sustainable tourism supply chain, Fundación Tropicalia, Dominican Republic
– Govardhan Eco Village, India
UNWTO Award for Innovation in Research and Technology
– Carmacal carbon calculator for travel packages, Dutch Association of Travel Agents and Tour Operators (ANVR), Netherlands
– Encyclopedia of tourism, Ulysses Foundation, Spain
– IP Tourism 4.0, Turismo de Portugal, Portugal